William Leininger's home page
Originally, this was a place holder. Now, it's just a thinly disguised way to avoid waiting for Mozilla to parse all my Internet Explorer bookmarks.
This is me captured by the
Connectix QuickCam, the cheapest way to get video into a non-AV equipped Macintosh. Alas, since Connectix sold the product line to Logitech, interest in Mac compatibility seems to have fallen off.
While I reside in the suburbs of Chicago, this page lives in Mississippi at the Water Valley Interchange, the ISP run by my friends, Howard, Anita, and the gang at Green Dragon Creations, in Northwestern Mississippi, where I occasionally visit or undertake contracts.
Places you should be looking at instead of here:
- I'm fascinated by all the weird equipment that has started to be connected to the net. A well maintained list of Internet connected machines (especially cameras) can be found on bsy's List of Internet Accessible Machines .
- Originally, my favorite search engine was Lycos at CMU. Since it came out, however, a number of rivals have appeared on the scene, and I find that Google has surpassed the rest. (For one thing, it doesn't have a lot of superfluous stuff!)
- For news about the net, and computing in general, you can't beat Slashdot and Wired.
- But, if you're like me, what you're really after is gossip. Try Robert Cringely, the other Robert Cringely, or that darned Katt.
- I develop software for the Macintosh, so here are some resources related to that:
- For news, try TidBITS, or MacInTouch, or MacNN.
- I used to list ramtracker, but the version I linked to stopped updating. Try RAMWatch.
- If you're looking for a faster Mac, but don't want to look farther than your own desk, you could try Clock Chipping. But this is not for the timid.
- Apple's documentation of how programs figure out what features are present on the Mac they are running on tends to be scattered and incomplete. Into this gap leaps René G.A. Ros' Gestalt Selector List.
While working on a project, there usually isn't too much time for anything except work. What little entertainment I get tends to be movies.
- So here's an extensive database of info on released films.
- And a link to my favorite local cheap theater, as $7 is almost always too much to pay for a movie
- Apart from movies, I tend to read, which is getting to be an expensive habit. Here's one of my favorite book stores, The Stars Our Destination, in Evanston, Illinois, but they also do mail order.
W. H. Leininger
At long last I'm updating my page. Why? Two reasons: To fix the dead links, and I'm preparing to make Mozilla my personal browser. So I want to update my standards compliance.
[Last updated: May 10, 2001]